11:59 AM

My TAHO fix!

Since grade school, I have always loved eating Taho. Everyday, I’d wake up a little early and listen for Manong Taho’s (the taho vendor) rhythmic shouts of “Tahoo, Tahooooo!” Basically, having a cup of taho in the morning became a part of my daily routine until I reached high school. I started missing my taho during high school because classes started earlier already and I had to take two jeepney rides to get to school as compared to my grade school where it was just a hiking distance from our place. As the years passed, the number of “suki” (regular customers) of Manong Taho dwindled and eventually, I never heard his regular chants at all. Not until today.

I’ve been longing to have a cup of taho for a few days now. I guess it’s due to the fact that I’ve been at home for more than a month now with nothing to do really except to think about food 24/7. Haha! Also, I know Manong Taho is still out there, maybe on another street but definitely still near our place because I keep hearing chants of “Tahoo, Tahoooo!” So in order to satisfy my craving, I promised myself that I’m going to have my taho-fix today. And look what I had just a while ago…


My first taho in years!



Taho when mixed


Taho, by the way is a well-known and well-loved Filipino snack made from fresh tofu processed to until its consistency becomes like that of a custard. Traditionally, taho is sold by vendors who walk the streets or neighborhoods in the country, carrying two aluminum cans; one for the taho and the other for the toppings: the “arnibal” (caramelized brown sugar) plus the little “sago” (tapioca pearls). However, stalls and even stores that serve tofu have now been selling a variety of toppings for taho like fresh fruits and flavored gelatins. As for me, nothing beats my Manong Taho’s version of taho.


The Taho (Soybean Custard)



"Sago" (Tapioca Pearls) and "Arnibal" (Caramelized Brown Sugar

0 comments: